You often spend your day in the wrong spinal position. We work in offices sitting in the wrong postures. Also, students sit in the wrong posture while doing their homework.
This wrong posture results in various spinal issues. You start feeling severe pain in your lower back and end up having severe back pain issues.
If you want to live a healthy life without any back pain issues back decompression exercises are necessary. You should perform healthy and safe back decompression exercises at home to get rid of this back pain issue.
Table of Contents
Back decompression exercises
If you put this query in a search engine you will find thousands of solutions. But today, I will share some really beneficial and easy to follow back decompression exercises.
You will enjoy doing these exercises and never get bored of them. I would try my best to keep the exercise instructions simple and clear so that you understand everything well.
Before, we move to our back decompression exercises let’s discover for whom it is beneficial.
Who should try back decompression exercises at home?
If you follow a daily routine in which you keep your back in a poor posture then you need to decompress your spine. Your spine consists of many elements like discs. If you don’t pay attention to the right posture you can face multiple issues.
If your back pain radiates down the legs then you should try back decompression exercises at home to get rid of this situation. Also if you have back pain that is associated with numbness and tingling down the legs you must follow these exercises.
Top 5 best back decompression exercises
I have compiled a thorough list of the top 5 best back decompression exercises to assist with back pain. If you don’t want to take NSAIDs and other harmful painkillers then follow the instructions carefully.
- Start by standing in a straight position and stretch your feet in an outward direction. Now align your shoulders with your feet.
- Now entangle your fingers and move your arms towards your head and keep them overhead. Keep your elbows straight while performing this step.
- Now try to reach the ceiling, this will stretch your back.
- Keep this stretch for 20-30 seconds and repeat 4-5 times a day for better results.
For this, you will need a pull-up bar or sturdy playground equipment. You can use two poles and one rigid rod to make a bar.
- Now reach the bar and hold it tightly with both hands. If the bar is at height and hard to reach you can jump to catch it.
- Then you have nothing to do. Just hold the bar tightly and let your body weight hang in the air.
- You can hold it for 20-30 seconds and then take a break to relax.
- After the break, you should repeat it. Start with short time intervals and keep extending the time period.
- If you are suffering from shoulder pain do not try this one.
Kitchen Sink Stretch
This seems to be funny but It’s true, a simple kitchen sink bar can assist you with back pain stretch exercise. You just need to find a sturdy place where you can hold tightly and stretch yourself backward.
- Stand by holding a sturdy surface just like a kitchen sink bar where you can hold firmly.
- Now straighten your elbows by leaning back slowly.
- Proceed by leaning back all of your body weight behind you.
- You can stay in this position for 20-30 seconds until you feel tired.
- If you feel tired, relax and repeat the process.
- You can do it 2-3 times a day if you don’t feel any health issues.
- Sit down such that your bottom touches your heels.
- Now move in the forwarding direction on your hands and knees.
- Extend your arms in front of you keeping your body weight back behind you.
- Now relax in this position for up to 10 seconds.
- Repeat the same step after a while.
- Now add one more thing. When you reach out your arms in front of you, reach your arms slightly to the left and right. Hold for 10 seconds on each side.
- You can repeat each side 2-3 times a day. Repeat each side 2-3 times.
Lay on your Back with your Feet on a Chair
Technically it’s not a proper exercise but a posture that helps to relieve back pain. The patients who are suffering from severe back pain or injury cannot perform the above exercises. Therefore, they need a relaxing and comfortable method to get started.
- Get on the floor if you are comfortable.
- Put a chair next to you.
- Now lay down on the floor and place your lower legs on the chair. Make sure the edge of the chair touches the back of your knees.
- You can hold this position for 5-10 minutes and relax. You can relax in this position for as much time as you feel comfortable.
I have listed the top 5 best tested and tried exercises for back pain. You can try any one of these exercises you feel comfortable with. If you don’t feel comfortable with any one of these exercises, stop practicing it. You must remember that the exercises are meant to leave you relaxed not injured.
If you don’t feel comfortable after trying all of the above exercises you can consult a doctor. An orthopedic or physiotherapist can help you in this case. Make sure you are not suffering from any muscles or joints issues.
The above exercises are useful for people who sit in the wrong posture. Posture issues can be resolved with the above practices. Apart from all, follow a healthy diet plan and lifestyle.