Sciatica is one of the most common issues people of this century are facing. Maybe it’s due to the poor lifestyle and lack of activities in routine life. Students, freelancers, and people doing office jobs are common victims of Sciatica.
Sciatica is a type of lower back pain that is caused by disturbance of the Sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve lies within your spinal cord and travels down your hips to legs up to feet.
If due to certain reasons this Sciatic nerve is irritated, compressed, or disturbed it can cause numbness, pain, or discomfort in your legs. Sometimes it affects one side and in some cases, both sides get affected.
Table of Contents
Symptoms of Sciatica
- Lower back torment.
- One-sided leg torment is more awful than standard back torment.
- The torment normally emanates starting from the buttocks the rear of the leg to beneath the knee.
- Deadness, consuming, or potentially shivering of the lower leg.
- The Torment emanates to the foot and additionally toes.
- Consuming sensation somewhere down in the bottom.
- Leg shortcoming (intriguing)
Flexion of the lumbar spine, twisting, bending, or coughing can worsen the sciatica symptoms.
There are multiple treatments available for Sciatica but organic methods like acupuncture and exercises are common ones. People prefer organic methods over medications and surgery because they are safe and easy to carry.
If you use medicines like NSAIDs regularly they can damage your immune system and kidneys. NSAIDs are one of the most common reasons for kidney failure. If an exercise or improved lifestyle can save your life and relieve your pain then it’s a blessing.
I have also discussed the acupuncture points for Sciatica. If you don’t want to consider acupuncture you can get relief by doing certain types of exercises.
Spinal decompression exercises for sciatica
Numerous exercises are available to treat Sciatica. Some exercises help relieve the Sciatic pain immediately and some of them work to resolve the Sciatica. Some exercises have instant but short time results.
While some exercises can help resolve Sciatica for a lifetime. Here I will share the top four best spinal decompression exercises for Sciatica. These are top recommended, tried, and tested moves that give you long-lasting results.
Exercise #1: Sciatic Nerve Floss
The sciatic nerve floss exercise helps relieve the lower back pain by giving a massage. This technique works by massaging the trapped nerve and relieving lower back pain caused by sciatic nerve compression.
You feel pain in the lower back and numbness in the leg when the sciatic nerve is compressed by muscles. The sciatic nerve floss technique massages to elevate the nerve that is compressed by muscles.
- Sit on a chair or table making sure that your legs are hanging off the edge. You can call it a slouched position.
- Now put your hands on your thighs.
- Now extend your knee in a forward direction while looking up with your head.
- Now bring your leg back. In this step bend and flex your neck in the downward direction.
- Sit back in the starting position.
- Repeat the same exercise 10 times a day for 3 days.
NOTE: This exercise can cause pain in your lower back and leg. If you feel that your symptoms are getting worse please stop practicing this exercise.
Exercise #2: Cat & Cow (Use a low range of motion)
This is one of the best spine mobility exercises that help relieve sciatic nerve pain. It helps to decompress the lower back and relieves sciatica.
- Start by kneeling on your hands and feet by keeping your hands under your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Now arch your back by exhaling.
- Hold this configuration for 2 seconds.
- Now round your back while inhaling.
- Keep this potion for 2 seconds.
- Repeat 10 times if you don’t feel any kind of discomfort or pain in the lower back.
Exercise #3: Lying Figure-4 Stretch (For Piriformis)
Piriformis syndrome is another major cause of sciatica pain. Tension in the piriformis can compress the sciatic nerve and as a result, you feel sciatic pain. This exercise helps to relieve sciatic pain by removing the tension in the piriformis.
- Lie down the floor, bend your knees while keeping your feet positioned flat on the floor.
- Now lift your right leg and place your ankle on your left knee.
- Now you have to pull your left thigh towards your chest. You can either use your hands to a band to perform this step.
- You are supposed to hold this position for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Now repeat on the other leg and pull it towards your chest.
- Repeat this 3 times on each leg.
Exercise #4: Half Cobra Pose
This exercise helps resolve sciatic nerve pain caused by disk material that is compressing the sciatic nerve. It helps push back the disk material to remove the symptoms of sciatic nerve pain.
- Lie down on the floor on your stomach. Now prop yourself up on your elbows. Keep lifting your body on your elbows, make sure to maintain the contact of your hips with the floor.
- Maintain this prop position for the next 10 to 15 seconds. After that return to your prone position slowly.
- You can start with 10 to 15 seconds and then gradually increase this time to 30 seconds.
- Repeat this exercise 10 times.
NOTE: Maybe, initially it would be hard for you to keep this position for a longer time period. Start with short periods and then gradually increase the time period.
Exercise is the best way to deal with your body issues related to muscles and joints. Daily exercise habits can save us from getting various health issues regarding joints and muscles. Sciatica is a lower back pain that hurts the most and makes you helpless of doing anything.
You feel numbness and severe pain in your lower back and legs. I have mentioned some of the best exercises that help sciatic nerve pain. You can also look for other medical treatments like using anti-inflammatory drugs.
You can also consider old Chinese medical treatments like acupuncture. But acupuncture needs an expert to perform it. Exercise is a simple thing you can perform at home without expert knowledge or equipment.
Therefore I suggest you try these exercises. Before getting started with these exercises, you need to consult your doctor, if there is any complication in your case.